Holly Shelter Creek
View MahanaimAdventures.com – Holly Shelter Creek in a larger map
Holly Shelter Creek: Holly Shelter Creek (also known as Shelter Creek begins in Onslow County, but over the northeast border of Pender County. It is a small blackwater stream is located about 30 minutes north of Wilmington, just off NC 53 in Burgaw. In the upper portions of the creek, there is a large beaver population. The lower sections of the creek have an abundance of birds and other wildlife, including some large alligators. Along the creek you will a wide variety of trees, including holly tress, bald cypress, several varieties of oaks, river ash, black gum and more. There is small tidal influence near the confluence with the Northeast Cape Fear River, but this had no effect on your kayaking adventures. Holly Shelter Creeks is an easy paddling adventure.
Holland Shelter Creek Restaurant is located along Holly Shelter Creek along the last section of the creek. The specialty of the house is fried seafood, a local de-light. However, be prepared to eat well when you stop here for a quick lunch after taking off the creek, your plate will be piled high with plenty of good eats and at a reasonable price.
Half day to full Day adventures possible
- Old Maple Hill Highway Bridge to Old Maple Hill Highway bridge over Shaken Creek
4 hourTrip would be for more advanced paddlers
- Old Maple Hill Highway bridge over Shaken Creek to Shaw Highway Bridge – 3 to 3.5 hours
- Shaw Highway Bridge to Whitestocking Road Boat Ramp. – 3 to 4 hours
- Half Day / Single Person: $110
- Full Day / Single Person: $200
- Half Day / Group of 2-5 Persons: $55 per person
- Full Day / Group of 2-5 Persons: $90 per person
- Half Day / Group of 6-10 Persons: $45 per person
- Full Day / Group of 6-10 Persons: $70 per person