View MahanaimAdventures.com – Town Creek in a larger map
Town Creek: Town Creek begins as a black water stream in eastern part of the Green Swamp, just west of the Wilmington area. The creek flows southeast and empties into the Cape Fear River just downstream of downtown Wilmington. In 1664 a group of English settlers from Barbados established Charles Town on Town Creek, near the point the river flows into the Cape Fear River. Their efforts failed because of hostile Indians, pirates, a weak supply line and the swampy location of the original settlement. These problems drove these settlers south, where they formed Charleston, South Carolina.
Town Creek is a prime wildlife habitat and wetlands and much of it is protected. The North Carolina Coastal Land Trust has worked with both state and federal agencies, timber companies and private individuals to protect over 6200 acres along Town Creek. Because of these efforts, Town Creek is a wonderful location to view wildlife and birds that call the Cape Fear area home. This adventure is also ideal for those adventures who are new to kayaking. Town Creek is a slow moving blackwater stream that is easily padded by those new to kayaking adventures.
We not only have half-day and full day adventures available, but also over night adventures area also possible for those who have a more adventurous spirit.
Half and Full Day adventures possible:
- Rice Creek/Town Creek out and back adventure: 5.5 mile float
- Rice Creek/Town Creek to Brunswick Nature Preserve adventures: 15 mile float
- Brunswick Nature Preserve to River Road County Park adventures: 8 mile float
- Half Day / Group of 2-5 Persons: $55 per person
- Half Day / Group of 6-8 Persons: $50 per person
- Half Day / Group of 9 – 10 Persons: $45 per person
- Full Day / Call for reservation and pricing
- Overnight Trips / Call for reservations and pricing information