I have written about this subject several times over the past years in our blogs. Often when setting up for our kayaking adventures, it is hard not to ask different people at the kayak launch if they know what they are doing or not? When we do, I often get a silly look or simply no response at all. The simple matter of fact is that we witness lots of people go kayaking (or any other adventure) and they just are not prepared for all that can go wrong. Twice this week, we had kayaking adventures that we canceled due to high winds (Small Craft Advisories) on the water. As we were putting up our gear, both times we witnessed different persons or groups heading out into rough waters.
Questions to ask yourself before you take off kayaking:
- What is the weather like at this moment and what is the forecast for the rest of the time on my adventures?
- Do I have the skills needed to take this adventure?
- Am I properly prepared for what could happen?
- Does someone know where I am at and where I am going?
- Do I know how to get myself out of trouble if I find myself in unexpected trouble?
- Do you know how to get back into your kayak if you should fall out in open water?
These are all important things to consider before you strike out on any adventure. Being able to properly answer these questions can mean life or death if you are not prepared. I know of other kayaking adventure businesses that once to twice a summer, save someone from a really bad situation and even drowning. Bad things can happen quickly and if not prepared, things could turn out really bad for you.
Don & Diane Harty own Mahanaim Adventures. They specialize in helping individuals, families and groups to have “Positive & Memorable” outdoor adventures. Whether these are wildlife view adventure, camping adventure or a simple kayaking adventure. They provide kayaking adventures on Town Creek, Cape Fear River, Fort Fisher Basin, Masonboro Island, Black River, Holly Shelter Creek and Moores Creek. Oh, yes, we do rent kayaks also. Contact them at www.mahanaimadventures.com for more information about all of their adventures.